Monday 1 December 2008

Even whiter

And it keeps getting whiter. The first thing that struck me is the world seems even whiter this morning. I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised since the frost never totally thawed out yesterday. It was -10C even when it turned dark. I venture around to the laundry room. The thermometer on the shed says -12C & yet it feels surprisingly mild - an ominous sign. By the time I'm back in the kitchen, the snowflakes begin to gently float down. We don't often get snow here. We're too low, being almost at sea level, & we're also surrounded by higher ground with the Lakeland Fells to the north, the Penines to the east & the Welsh Mountains to the south.

We were planning to go shopping this afternoon. Ellie & Ged, our friends from the village we used to live in, are coming for dinner tomorrow & there's a few extras we need for their visit. Whether we get to the shops, or they get to us, will depend on the snow. I daresay we will be able to rustle something up even if we don't get out today. Just won't be the meal we've planned.

No comments: