Saturday 20 December 2008

On with the Xmas preparations

I've just been getting the goose prepared. I've never handled a goose before. I'm surprised to discover how fatty even the skin feels. I can well believe there's a lot to come out, even more than a duck. Still the apple sauce is made with our very own apples. The stuffing is all but ready to go in the bird. I just want to add a bit of apple first. The potatoes are par-boiled. The sprouts peeled & crossed. I'm all set for the big cook this afternoon.

While the goose is in the oven we're intending to get our Christmas tree - artificial of course - out & put up the decorations. Everything will be festive-looking then. In my childhood this was always a Xmas Eve activity, but these days everyone gets started so early we begin to feel like laggards after a while. Mind we do keep them up until the twelfth day of Christmas, unlike many of our neighbours who seem to take them down as soon as the new year has arrived.

No comments: