Monday 8 December 2008

Night journeys


I've not been sleeping so well of late with the result I've been listening to a fair amount of BBC World Service Radio. So it is that Saturday night I was whisked off to Saint Lucia with Derek Walcott in "World Bookclub". I found myself remembering this beautiful island & the Christmas we spent there last year - a darn sight warmer than any we're likely to have here this year, though it will be good to spend the day with good friends. At the moment it's looking like a white Christmas might be coming, if only white with frost!

Last night took me to another island, Jamaica as I listened to the end of "Charlie Gillett's World of Music" and some rai music - rather too lively to conduce to sleep! The news following did a far better job of that!


After thinking of all that warmth & bright sunshine, this morning seems particularly dark. It's not particularly cold, but it is certainly grey & wet. Still, maybe that's not such a bad thing. We're intending to go over to see MK & Helen this afternoon. MK is nervous about going out after some recent falls, some when he was transferring from his wheelchair to his car seat. As a result he's barely been out of the house for weeks. When I spoke to him on Saturday he agreed to consider going out to a pub if the Fox would give him some assistance with the transfers and it wasn't too slippery underfoot. We'll see what happens this afternoon. But whether we get to the pub or not, I'm confident it will be a very enjoyable afternoon.


No comments: