Wednesday 17 December 2008

Turkey mad

We're off for our final big shop before Christmas. I'm somewhat surprised to say I'm thinking of buying a second turkey. I've still not recovered from cooking the first on Saturday. This Saturday it's the goose's turn in the oven.

I think I'm still recovering from turkey deprivation last year. Yes we did have turkey on Christmas Day in St Lucia but inevitably there were none of the leftovers & we love - the quiches, curries, rarebits, rissoles, nuggets etc made with the leftover meat. By the time we got back last year, the price of turkey had soared - over £30 for a very small one. I'm determined to do better this year.

We do our shopping usually at Morrisons & they have been doing a promotion which has resulted in us getting a £20 voucher to be used before Xmas. That should nicely pay for a second turkey. The cooking will wait till the new year when I've had chance to recover from the first turkey & the goose.

It's come as a shock as to just how exhausted I'm feeling after the apparently simple task of roasting a turkey. All said and done, most of the time the oven does the work while the turkey & potatoes get a tan. I will admit I did all the trimmings on Saturday - homemade cranberry sauce, bread sauce, special stuffing, gravy, sprouts etc. I've decided this Saturday I will just concentrate on the goose, plus roast potatoes & one veg, probably sprouts. Yes I will do a little apple sauce & gravy, & the goose will be stuffed, but that's it.

No comments: