Friday 19 December 2008

Holiday plans

A lion outside the Raffles Hotel Singapore

I've finally come to some conclusions about our long haul holiday. I think I've at least decided on destinations. I'm thinking a week in or around Bandar Seri Begawan (BSB as it's usually called), the capital of Brunei, a week in or around Kuching in Sarawak, another part of Borneo, & a week in Singapore. I've discarded Penang for this trip. Much as I would love to go, my priority this time is to get a feel of Borneo, of Brunei to be specific. After all that is where I was born, & featured so often in the tales my parents told. If we can manage another trip to this part of the world, maybe then we'll see Penang & possibly combine it with some of mainland Malaya or Thailand even. Now I need to decide on hotels, dates & raise the money. But first I want to finish reading about Singapore.
We've been to Singapore before, but only as a stopover on the way to Australia. The first time we stayed on Sentosa Island which is a bit out of the main city centre. We did get in and explore some of the more colonial parts. We loved Raffles Hotel and had a couple of fabulous buffet lunches there. The second time we stayed in the city centre. We only stayed a couple of nights that time so never ventured out of the hotel as we were just so exhausted after the flight. There seems much of excitement for us yet to explore so this will be our opportunity to see Chinatown, Little India, the waterfront, the botanic gardens, the zoo etc. Maybe have another meal at Raffles.....








No comments: