Friday 5 December 2008

Anticlimax & sour spirits

As readers of the Fox's blog will already know, Tuesday turned into a great anticlimax. I spent the morning making a thick crab soup, a cherry cheesecake & getting the potatoes par-boiled ready for sauteing later. I finally sat down just before noon to relax a bit when the phone goes. Ellie. Their road is still frozen solid & the forecast is for colder weather to come. Since they live at the top of a very steep hill, they didn't feel they dare make the trip over. I can't entirely blame them. It was treacherous & I would sooner have them unharmed & well.

So, on Wednesday I flake out. So exhausted from the previous day's effort, I couldn't face doing anything - no Pub, no cooking, just flop. I suspect if my efforts had been rewarded with a more satisfying night I would have kept going, but the damp squib it turned into did nothing for my spirits.

Thursday turned into another anticlimax. I hoped to see a thick layer of snow outside. That's what the forecast suggested. Instead we had a damp grey day once more.

Let's hope this evening's event turns out more successfully. It's the Geriatrics' Corner's Christmas dinner. The numbers have increased to 15. I'm now trying to get myself into festive spirit to write some cards so we can deliver them while we're there. But I will admit it does seem a bit early for Xmas cards, especially local cards. I'm more inclined to turn my attention to those off overseas, or those that need accompanying letters. For that matter to those that need posting full stop. Our friends at Geriatrics' Corner we will no doubt see on numerous occasions between now & Xmas.

Maybe I just need the festive meal first to put me more in festive spirit to get going on the whole process. At the moment I'm just being aware that all the shops are heaving & all the aisles are full of extra stands making it very difficult to get around in a wheelchair. And the 25th stills seems a long way off....

No comments: