Monday 15 December 2008

A quiet day at last

I was just settling down to some paperwork, having finished breakfast, when I hear a noise outside. A great honking. I look into the sky. A long wave of geese, stretching for miles across the sky, followed by a smaller one, passes overhead. They're headed north. I wonder where they're off to. It's early for a spring migration & late for the autumn. Maybe they're just off to the coast for a feed.

At last I've a quiet day. This last week has been exhausting. Yesterday was spent doing the ironing that didn't get done on Saturday because of roasting the turkey, followed by the changing of the sheets & sorting the washing in the afternoon. I collapsed into bed before 8pm. I was just so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open.

Today we're onto our second Xmas dinner with members of the Geriatrics' Corner. This is the smaller group that usually dines out on the last Monday of the month. We're going to a hotel near MK & Helen in the hope that they will be able to make it too. It's also where MK, Helen & us are dining on Xmas Day itself. All this means there's no food to prepare today, no chores to be done. Instead a quiet morning with my jigsaw - "The Young Girl" by Renoir. I might pop over to see how Jeff is doing, now he is safely home from hospital - I gather he gets bored at home on his own & Michelle has to work.

No comments: