Thursday 18 December 2008

Getting ready

It seems strange not having food to prepare. Earlier this week I was just so exhausted from cooking the turkey, we've decided I've just got to have a few days off. I had thought with the Fox cooking on Sunday & then our meal out on Monday, I would be fully recovered, but no. I soon realised otherwise when I cooked on Tuesday. So it is that the Fox tackled a lamb rogan josh last night, & tonight he's tackling a beef & sweetcorn stir fry. I'm getting my strength & energy back for the goose on Saturday. The goose is now out of the freezer. It's sitting in the garage out of the way for a slow thaw. We'll probably move it into the warmth of the house later today.

It's the first time we've ever tried cooking a goose. Last New Year's Eve we were invited out to a meal with a goose stuffed with various other birds as the centrepiece. This experience taught us we like eating goose. We were much encouraged to buy one when we saw one recently for less than £20, rather than the usual £40 they sell for around here. We're certainly confident that the goose fat will be welcome. There's nothing quite as satisfying as goose fat for roasting potatoes in.

And finally it's dawning on me that Christmas is just one more week away. We're intending to get our Christmas tree up at the weekend. Then, on Sunday, we're hoping to go along together to the carol service at our local church. By then, with a bit of luck, we'll be in festive mood.

No comments: