Saturday 10 December 2016

On its way



Christmas definitely seems on its way. Each day brings new cards, sometimes from much loved friends & family not seen all year.

In some ways it’s a cheering time of year. Lights twinkle on houses & trees all around, breaking up the gloom of the long dark nights of December. By the time the lights come down in January the hours of daylight will once more start to lengthen.

However, Christmas is also a time of stress. I’m still hastily trying to write my cards & letters. At least I’ve done those that need posting off, except two with which I usually enclose a letter. One letter is drafted, the other yet to be begun. I like to write individual letters. Although probably much of the same information will appear in both, I try to tailor each to the particular interests of the recipients. For me one letter for all just doesn’t work, even if it makes life easy.

I’ve even got as far as starting on some of the local cards. They will be hand delivered over the coming weeks.

Next week will also be the time to do the big shop. The only things I want to have to buy in the last week before Christmas are those things that are likely to go off e.g. cream, milk. The crowds in the supermarket just get too much for us.

This year, of course, there is the added stress of wondering how I will be. I’m working on the theory of keeping it simple. Then the Fox can give a hand if necessary. We’ll find out next week whether radiotherapy will start before Christmas or not. That will make a big difference to how we will feel over the holiday I suspect.

I hold on to the fact at least the two of us will both be here to enjoy Christmas & hopefully we will be in reasonable health to enjoy it. At the moment that seems worth celebrating.

No comments: