Friday 9 December 2016

No veins!



On Monday I had my first trip to the hospital for an actual intravenous infusion.

By the time we’d actually got to the room for the treatment, my hands were very cold. (They’re cold at the best of times which is why I make such good pastry. A gnawing cold damp day didn’t help.) The nurses set about the task of putting in a cannula.

I was soon told I should have brought some veins with me. The next thought was for me to put my right hand under the hot water tap for a while. Soon my hand was rosy red, looking as though if I left it much longer it would have been scolding & blistering. Still they had difficulty finding a vein. The one they could find was still hard from the scabbing from when a cannula was inserted for the anaesthetic for the op so couldn’t be used. They tried putting a needle in one place. No good. A second – success.

While the chemicals dripped in we were both given tea & biscuits.  We’re all agreed, & relieved, that I only need these infusions once every six months. They didn’t fancy having to have this hunt more often any more than I fancied the consequent bruising. The actual infusion only took about 15 minutes – not too bad.

I felt fine on Monday. On Tuesday I went about life as normal, making Chicken Curry Pancakes for dinner. After the meal I began to feel decidedly nauseous, although I never became sick. I went to bed early. By this time every bone, particularly around the joints, ached. Wednesday was another off day. Yesterday I was more myself.

I’ve come to the conclusion that next time, I will plan blander food & more rest for a day or two after the infusion. Hopefully that will mean any adverse effects will be less severe.

So now we await next week’s visit. This time it will be to meet the head radiographer to discuss the pros & cons of radiotherapy & probably get that organised. Then the daily trips to Preston will begin. We’re not looking forward to that!

Meanwhile I’m under way with the Christmas cards & letters. Things must go on regardless.

No comments: