Friday 30 December 2016

Further worries



The Fox is worried. He got up yesterday after his post-prandial nap, with a sore throat. He felt he could hardly swallow. He fears he’s going down with flu. There’s been a lot of it floating around here & it’s not the variety for which the flu jab was designed. I suggest he took some paracetamol. Things seem to settle down again.

By the time I went to bed, he was feeling a lot better. Nonetheless he was determined to clear the decks of any on-line chores e.g. getting bills paid, just in case things got worse.

When he finally got to bed he assured me he was feeling fine. However, an hour later he was up again. His throat was sore & he was feeling woozy. He got up & had some more paracetamol.

I now wait to see how he’ll feel after some sleep. I’m hoping it’s just one of those symptoms of being a bit run-down rather than actual illness. Flu is the last thing we need. My radiotherapy is due to start on Tuesday, & there’s very little chance of him going down with, & recovering from, full blown flu in that time.

If necessary I will have to organise hospital transport to get me to hospital, though a neighbour has kindly offered to take me to hospital if I ever need transport through this period. However, I don’t think he was thinking of Preston, just Lancaster.

And what if I get flu from the Fox? I can’t very well go & get my treatment in that state. It would have to be delayed. I’m telling myself not to worry on that score. I’ve never had flu in my life despite being put on flu wards with a bad cold. But there is a bit of me that says my resistance may have been weakened with my body fighting cancer at the moment &, for that matter, my getting older. There’s no denying that flu seems to hit the elderly harder.

Oh well, there’s nothing can be done, except keep our fingers crossed & hope it’s just one of those 24/48 hour blips.

No comments: