Friday 18 March 2016

More bulbs



I was certainly right about not casting a clout just yet. This morning the garden is white once more, encrusted with a thick layer of frost, thicker than it has been all winter. It’s almost enough to stop the juices flowing as spring sets them all flowing. New life is becoming increasingly apparent.

I find myself looking out of the kitchen windows & wondering which, if any, patches need a bit more brightening up at this season. I think a few more rich golden daffodils are needed in a couple of spots. Some bright oranges & yellows would really brighten up some dull spots. I’ll maybe get a few more crocuses and smaller daffodils to put in the raised lavender beds. The latter doesn’t look very exciting yet. By the time the lavender is in flower, the bulbs should be dying down.

Meanwhile my aches continue, not helped by the fact my sap is rising too & manifesting itself in the urge to do a bit of tidying in the garden. Our gardener has not yet got going this year, but I'm beginning to think I’ll have to give her a ring before I seize up in a mass of strained muscles.

I’m trying to restrain myself by going to the Keukenhof Gardens with my current jigsaw. This is one place we should be visiting on our Dutch coach holiday next month.

We’re both looking forward to the holiday. Our two visits to the Netherlands have given us a love of the country & its people. The only dampener is that the Fox is anxious about his hips which seem to be playing up once more. Holidays inevitably mean more walking around, & pushing me. Still, if necessary, we will just have to find a bench & look at the beautiful flowers. At least the Netherlands, unlike some, is a fairly flat country for me to push myself a bit more than usual.

No comments: