Friday 4 March 2016

A white world



I padded off to the loo. It was about 5.30am. As I went I glanced out of the window of the front door. The world was white. It had snowed. I returned to bed.

When I got up later the world still had a thin layer of white. Nothing much. Just enough to bring out the contours of things rather than to hide them. No blanket here. I’m hoping if we go out later today we’ll have wonderful views of the Cumbrian fells & the Pennines well blanketed. By then I expect here will show no sign of white. It’s been damp all morning, drizzly rather than rain but sufficient to return the world to normality. It’s nearly all gone now.

Living so near the sea, with its salty environment, we get little snow. I wonder how our friends in Harrogate, just over the Pennines will have fared. Or my cousins down in Stoke, on the lower slopes of the Pennines. They always seem to get a fair amount of snow, so much more than us.

No comments: