Saturday 5 March 2016

Buried treasure



A month or so disaster struck. A floppy disk became corrupted & unfortunately, or rather stupidly, I hadn’t made a back-up. On this disk was my list of freezer contents. We took the disk along to a computer shop to see if they could recover at least that file. They couldn’t.

Fortunately I had made a print out of the first page & that’s what I’ve been working from.

Whenever I’ve had a rummage in the freezer I’ve been listing anything dated later than the period the print out covered & started a new list. This afternoon we’re thinking of having a defrost & clean out of the freezer. It’s time it was done. Before everything goes back into the freezer, I’ll check them off against my new list, adding anything I’ve missed.

Why this is on my mind is that we’re having Breakfast-for-Dinner tonight, in other words a fry up. I’m using up a couple of sausages from my list. We’ve bought some back bacon to go with them, along with a couple of eggs. I thought I’d also do some black pudding that I knew was in the freezer, even if unlisted. So I’ve just had a rummage in a section of the freezer I’ve not ventured into since the disaster occurred.

It’s just as well. I found some very old cooked chicken in the process. I can see that will be the main ingredient for Monday & Tuesday’s meals. I had been trying to decide what to do with leftover pork, the next item on my paper list. Now my thoughts are going on what to do with a 2oz & an 8oz parcel of cooked chicken instead. Chicken pie anyone?

PS I've just noticed the Fox has written a blog - the first time in ages - so I thought I'd let anyone interested know.

No comments: