Thursday 31 May 2012

Another lazy morning

The rain is coming down, & with it the temperature is falling too. The woollies have been dug out once more.

I'm having another lazy morning. The Fox is cooking today. He's doing a risotto so there's nothing for me to prepare.

So far I've finished my current jigsaw, Brueghel's "The Tower of Babel". We're off to the library this afternoon & I'd like to exchange it when we're there. I've enjoyed the jigsaw. I can't help it says something about the society it reflects when you see some of the workmen cowering in front on their lord, hands grasped in supplication to him. The lord must have been very powerful, the workman with none, dependent on the favour of the lord for his very existence. I'm also struck by how the gibbets used for pulleys to lift the heavy stone employed by the medieval workman resemble  hangman's gibbets &, at times, the crucifixion cross.

Since finishing the jigsaw I've progressed onto the computer & was pleased to discover a couple of e-mails concerning proposed tours in South Africa. The first e-mail sounded exhausting. The young lass - yes, she sounds young to me - is obviously proud of her country & keen for us to see as much as possible on our trip. However, I think she's forgetting she is dealing with disabled people. Unfortunately for many disabled people, myself included, disability involves fatigue. I'm just not sure how I could cope with a few weeks of non-stop activity, even if some of that activity involves being driven around by someone else. It was with relief that I read the second e-mail which suggested a slightly less hectic schedule. But the all important thing hasn't been broached yet - the cost. Until that comes through it's difficult to come to any decision. But it certainly sounds exciting & potentially a wonderful holiday.

No comments: