Monday 28 May 2012

Tricks of the mind

It's certainly been hot. the last couple of ddays we've been dining outside. On the shed wall, behind the Fox's head, I've glanced at the thermometer - 34C, very un-English temperatures, especially for the north! I anticipate us sweltering once more tonght,  as I'm planning to cook prawns in a chilli tomato sauce with linguine for dinner.

Over the weekend I've been doing another jigsaw. This time it's been a watercolour of Crail Harbour. As soon as the Fox saw the picture he instantly recognised it. We visied Crail in the 1980s when we went for a few days touring holiday in the Trossachs & Fife. On the way back homeward from St Andrews, our last overnight stop, we followed the Fife coast before crossing over the Forth Bridge to Edinburgh. We stopped briefly at Crail on the way.

I associate it as a place with lots of lobster pots strewn around the harbour. Definitely a fishing port. Small,though. A pleasant quiet spot.

When I chose the jigsaw I hadn't immediately made the association. Most of this artist's work, or at least those that appear as jigsaws, have been of places in the Cornwall / Devon area, places like Padstow, Mevagissey, St Ives,  an area of England I've never visited. I'd just assumed Crail must have been somewhere around there. 

I will admit the name sounded familiar. I'd even thought about that holiday & this fishing village in Scotland, only I'd got it in my head it was called Crieff. Strange how the memory works.

No comments: