Saturday 26 May 2012

The warm spell

It looks as though my dream is going to be fulfilled - a prolonged spell of warm sunny weather. I'm already starting to regret it. How fickle can you get! We have a wind - yes, wind not breeze - but it's a warm wind that doesn't refresh much. It's already becoming very airless.

Still, today we're hoping to get the table & chairs out so we can dine out in this warm weather. We just hope the wind won't blow these lightweight plastic items all over the garden.

The lawn is covered with petals as the apple & pear trees, the cherry & willow, all shed their blossoms & catkins. The lawn already has a fair amount of white in it from the daisies growing there. The mowing only takes their heads off for a short time before the next bunch of flowers appear.

I had a shock yesterday. I went to open up the plastic covers over the veg beds. I thought I might as well have a look at the potato bags while I was there. I couldn't believe it. A frog. I don't know how he managed the roughly 2ft jump in, but now he looked stuck, baking in the unrelenting sun with no shade to retreat into. I hastily, & gently, scooped him up & put him on the bog garden where he quickly hopped off, under the cover of the plants.

I'm really looking forward to a quiet weekend of doing nothing very much, maybe a sit in the sun with my book, just being lazy. There will, of course, be some things to do, like roasting the gammon joint for dinner today but that doesn't require too much effort.

No comments: