Friday 11 May 2012

Settling down

I think we're about on top of the chores from the holidays.

Wednesday afternoon we got to the garden centre. Now the Fox is ready with compost & tomato & other plants. Unfortunately the rain came yesterday so, at the moment, all remains to be done. The plants are sitting on the patio wall during the day, coming inside at night as it is still very cold at night. However, this morning, it has stopped briefly at least. I've hastily planted out some chervil in the herb garden & had a general tidy up in the front. I'd love to tidy up the bog garden & add some extra bark we bought to discourage the emerging weeds. However, the bog garden is not a bog at the moment. It's more of a lake!

I managed to get all the ironing done yesterday so that task is done for this week. 

In the afternoon we ventured down to the library. It's ages since I last looked around a library for general fiction. I've been to look up specific info but that's it. For years the Fox did the library hunt while I did the food shopping. And a very good job he did of it, too. Since I've become disabled & unable to do the food hunt by myself, we've just abandoned the library & depended on our own bookshelves for reading matter. Of late the Fox has also downloaded some out-of-copyright books on the net.

It's a strange sensation being surrounded by so many strangers, authors I've never even heard of. Our local library is a very small library so the range of book is rather limited. There seem few of the classics. Most of the books seem to be written by authors post my regular library days, many of them in the Aga saga genre. There is a section specifically on crime & a very small sci-fi section. Still it ought to be fun discovering new books & authors.

Having finally got on top of things, after dinner last night, I let go of the adrenalin that was keeping me going & collapsed into bed before 8pm, not to arise again until 7.30 this morning. I've a quiet day ahead as the Fox has already prepared a paprika chicken & chorizo meal, ready to be warmed up later. I'm looking forward to it.


While we were at the library I also got a couple of jigsaws out. So I'm off to put together Constable's "The Haywain". I expect to be lost in dark foliage & rolling clouds. 


 

No comments: