Thursday 17 May 2012

To go or not to go

A rainy day in Montignac

Since we've been home, & since we had so little sun on our holiday, we've been debating another holiday before too long. There is an urge to go back to France. The Fox fancies Burgundy or Alsace. I'm fancying the Camargue or the Sologne. I've looked up a few places, found a few possibilities, but now we're back to the old problems, plus a few new ones.

The new ones are that we've now planted all these vegetables. If we leave them untended they are not going to flourish. The tomatoes, potatoes, green beans & peas all need regular watering, feeding & harvesting at the appropriate time. If we're away, that won't get done. Any harvest will be minimal. I see places with vacancies in the more north of France, even in July & August. The weather is likely to better then, the temperature higher. But there's those veg. I think, in all honesty any holiday will have to wait until the end of August, if not September.

The anxiety over my benefits still remains. They are due for renewal next month. I've still not received any forms to fill in which presumably means I will continue to receive the money until I do get one & they've had chance to come to some decision on it. But it also means I'm reluctant to be away for long as the forms will need filling in fairly promptly when they do arrive. But that could be any time, even September.

No, immediately the only time I can see us getting away is for a weekend, somewhere in England, or possibly Scotland or Wales. I just hope we get some sun in this country soon. Today we're back to rain. It was forecast for snow once more in Scotland. Is the summer never to arrive?! I distinctly feel the need for a sustained spell of blue skies & some warmth on my skin - the former for my spirits, the latter for my physical well-being.

No comments: