Wednesday 16 May 2012

The Haywain

I've finished my jigsaw of Constable's "The Haywain". I have to confess it's made me appreciate the picture more.

As a schoolgirl, I once went to a French school while I was staying with my French penfriend in the suburbs of Paris. The English teacher, herself a Frenchwoman, wanted to take advantage of me as an authentic English speaker. One class I read a passage for them to take down as dictation. In another I had to answer their various questions about England, English life & what I found different in France. Among other questions I was asked was who I considered the best, most typical, English artist & name a painting by that person. I chose Constable's "The Haywain" as I thought it captured something very English. I still think so. The teacher was a fan of Turner.

Anyhow, back to the jigsaw. While you are doing a jigsaw, you inevitably look at the image in great detail.

While doing this I grew to appreciate the fact that the sky behind the trees was not the usual simple wash. In parts blue peers through the leaves, in other more grey-white. The clouds billow from dark rain-filled to white in clear blue sky - something we seemed to have a lot of since we returned home - yet the transition from one to the other is subtly done. I noticed, too, a gentle breeze must have been blowing, just turning some of the leaves up to reveal their silvery undersides.

I found a certain pathos in the curve of the back of the driver of the haywain, a strength in the great horses pulling it, humour in the spaniel running alongside the stream with a stick in its mouth.

I discovered, too, the fisherman sat in the midst of undergrowth on the right hand side of the picture. And what's that in the water near the boat in front of the fisherman? A float from the rod? A bird diving?

On the left, near the cottage, a woman stoops down, her arm in the water. Is she washing? Or just collecting water?

Then there's the other man on the haywain, his arm outstretched. Is he calling to the dog which is looking his way? Or is he trying to attract the attention of the woman? Or is he just pointing something out to the driver of the haywain? Or is he trying to verbally encourage the horses to move on?

Questions, questions, so many questions. I feel a simple jigsaw has made me see so much more in the painting, given me so much food for thought trying to answer so many questions. A very satisfying experience. Over forty years on, I still remain a fan of John Constable, though I have grown to appreciate the work of Turner more than I did, all those years ago.




 

No comments: