Friday 1 June 2012

Picture reading

After writing yesterday's blog, I decided to find out a bit more about Bruegel, the artist of the subject of my last jigsaw. I don't know a tremendous lot about him or his work. I discovered that he was alive at the time when the Netherlands was a possession of Spain. It was the time the unease among the Dutch was beginning to rumble, ultimately resulting in the 17th century Dutch War of Independence. According to the book I looked at, Bruegel often made anti-Spanish comments in his art. I can't help wondering if that is the explanation of the scene at the bottom left of the painting. The lord I mentioned yesterday was Spanish, the workmen Dutch. Is this the reason why the workmen look so cowered & fearful, resentful of the work they were doing? I wonder... Maybe that too, explains why the tower is already falling down as it is being built. The workmen were deliberately sabotaging the scheme. I wonder....

No comments: