Monday 11 June 2012

Back in harness

It seems strange today. I'm actually thinking about the cooking. The Fox has been cooking all weekend, not me.

So what delights did he make? On Friday he made a mushroom risotto. My contribution was to grill some sausages to accompany it. We tend to find ourselves getting bored with risottos - no matter how enthused we are at first - long before the end, especially if there isn't some other item, an alternative taste, on the plate. We tend to do sausages or bacon if it's a veggie risotto, tomatoes or mushrooms if it's a meat- or fish-based risotto.

Saturday was chicken curry day. My contribution was to get the meat diced up ready for the Fox to cook. I remain the butcher in the household, the one who bones & dices meat or, for that matter, fish (when I put my fishmonger hat on).

Yesterday was Kipper & Egg Kedgeree day. Just a couple of eggs to hard boil, just to speed things up come the evening.

So what delight am I making today? Veggie Egg Pittas. I've peeled some potatoes ready for chips. The pitta breads are going to be filled with a scrambled egg, spring onion & cherry tomato mixture. Light but tasty.

We're once more on the using up from the freezer time again. Today's item is pitta bread. I would go to the fish shop to buy some fresh fish but Angie, our home help, is due this morning. I'm hoping to get some monkfish as well as some salmon. Unfortunately the monkfish usually ends up being frozen which means buying it in the afternoon doesn't really give it the chance to thaw out before cooking. I know it should be okay to cook from frozen but it does seem impractical when I'm intending to marinade the fish first. I can't imagine the flavours would soak into a monkfish ice lolly.

Meanwhile we were amazed to have a warm day yesterday. Sunshine all day long. I even sat out for a while & read a bit. Needless to say, it's disappeared again now, when I could do with some warmth & even a bit of a breeze to dry out my washing. Instead it is just grey, cool & still. Oh well, it was nice yesterday. Better than most people seem to have been doing around the country. We even missed the torrential rains suffered in Wales etc over the weekend. It can't be all bad.

No comments: