Sunday 3 June 2012

Preparing to celebrate

It seemed strange doing the Sunday chores yesterday, but we've decided to get into Jubilee mood this afternoon & watch the Thames Pageant. Or at least some of it. 

So today we're actually having our Sunday roast on a Sunday. I'm intending to get the gammon all ready to go in the oven, the fat in the pan ready to heat up for the roast potatoes, the carrots ready by the chopping board to just get straight on with it when the time comes. I suspect we will want to eat before we get to the end of the Pageant, or rather I expect we will want to get the veg & gravy on the go as the programme ends.

Here, in Morecambe, there's going to be a massive street party along the promenade. It is to be hoped that the rain stops by then. At least the sky is brightening up so there is hope.

We're not going to any street parties. The Foxes will have a quiet stare at the TV instead.

I'm not sure I'm really in festive mood. I'm not sure how great a royalist I am. I was much more excited in 1977 & the Silver Jubilee. I suppose it is partly because that was the first occasion of national celebration I'd experienced. We missed the Golden Jubilee. We were in France holidaying. I've never been to a street party in my life. I sometimes think I've missed out on something but then I realise I'm not really a party person. If one was organised along our street I would go along, just to get to share the experience with our neighbours, but I have no urge to go along to this one on the prom where most of the people I will not know, nor will probably ever see again.

We did actually see the Queen in 1977. It was a very fleeting event.  We were staying with parents in Manchester at the time. We, along with the Fox's brother, went on a day trip to Llandudno. On the return trip to Manchester, along the north coast road, the royal car came the other way. We duly waved, as we did subsequently, to the crowds  still lining the streets of the next town we came to.

For all that I'm not sure I'm a great royalist, I am forced to admit the Queen has done a good job. It is not a role she chose, but one she had put on her due to a chance of birth. She works hard & is diligent. She gives a stability to this country & a wealth of past experience to pass on to current politicians. I wish her well. And it is lovely to see all the bunting going up as towns & villages prepare to celebrate. It's good to have something to celebrate for once, instead of the gloom of the present economic climate.

My difficulty lies in the idea that I am a servant, a vassal, rather than a citizen. I can't help feeling monarchy perpetuates the class structure in this country. I'm not convinced that's entirely healthy.

On the other hand the Queen has been on the throne all my lifetime. I find it difficult to imagine anyone else on the throne or a time without someone on the throne. Long may she live. ( That is what I would wish anyone.)

No comments: