Thursday 21 June 2012

The Julienne mystery

While we were in the Dordogne, France earlier this year, I picked up some recipes & also a free sheet of translations of the names from French to English of various types of fish. The time has now come to try cooking some of the fish recipes I picked up. I'm stumped by one, Filets de julienne aux amandes. I get that it uses the fillets of the fish & that it is served with almonds, but what is "julienne"?

My immediate reaction is that julienne is essentially matchstick-shaped pieces. But that clearly can't be the translation in this case.

We hunt the house from top to bottom a couple times but can we find that, what we noted as a potentially very useful, sheet of paper with all those translations? No. 

I'm sure I packed it to bring it home. I'm equally fairly confident I unpacked it, along with the other various leaflets & recipes we'd picked up on our holiday. But I cannot find it anywhere.

I remember thinking it would be a good idea to put it somewhere safe, somewhere we would be sure to take it with us when we next visit France. We've tried our dictionaries & phrase book we usually take with us. Inside the cookbook I usually take with us. Inside the Tintin book I bought the Fox for his birthday present while we were in France. Between the pages of the more brochure style guidebooks of places we'd visited in the Dordogne. No sign. (While I was at the dictionary, a thick monster of a dictionary, I checked "julienne" & only got confirmation of the matchstick translation.) The only place we haven't looked is in our suitcases, mainly because they are so awkward to get out it doesn't seem worth the effort when I don't really think it's there. We've now given up looking, on the theory that lost things often turn up when you stop looking.

Anyhow first thing I did as I came on-line was to have a look at an on-line dictionary. The best I could come up with is "burbot", a member of the cod/ling family that lives in fresh water rather like a salmon. I can't imagine finding burbot in any of the shops around here. So now I have another dilemma. Should I try using cod or coley (ling), both sea fish, or try using salmon for this recipe? I'm not sure.

Or should I just give up on the whole idea of trying to make this meal? ...

No comments: