Friday 15 April 2011

Waddlers

I still can't quite get over how big wood pigeons are. We've always had collared doves resident in our garden, sitting on the apple tree or the trellis. But more recently a wood pigeon has came on the scene. 

This morning I ventured out to the freezer when my eyes were caught by the sight of two fat birds waddling across the lawn on the hunt for something to eat. At first I thought they must be escapee hens from their size. Or maybe ducks from the waddle. But no, they were wood pigeons. We've clearly now gained a second one to make a pair. Maybe before the summer is out, we will have a whole family in the garden.

But it doesn't alter the fact I associate pigeons as being of similar size to the collared doves, or even the fan-tailed doves that lived in a garden of a gite we rented one year, not these fat birds. We have plenty of feral pigeons in the area but they are nowhere near the size of these birds.

I do love their colouring, with the purply-pink on their breasts, that streak of bluey-green on their necks next to the brilliant white patch, & their bluey-grey head. Pretty indeed.

No comments: