Sunday 10 April 2011

Sounds of summer

The other day, on "You and Yours" BBC Radio4, they did a feature on the sounds of summer. Since then ideas have floated through my head. What does summer sound like?

My conclusion lies in the sound of ball on bat (cricket) or racquet (tennis), lawnmowers cutting grass, the chimes of ice-cream vans (yes I know these days they seem to tour the streets all year round but in my childhood they only appeared in summer, & even now seem more numerous in summer). I suppose the general sound of the great outdoors impinge on me as windows open to let the noises in of children playing, builders hammering etc. It's as though the  mufflers have been removed.

But above all, the sound I associate with summer is the sound of the blackbird singing his heart out. Such joyous sweet liquidity! Mr Blackbird has been in full song the last few days & I have adored it. Summer is definitely on its way in.

No comments: