Monday 25 October 2010

Trying to catch the pieces

I see the Fox has already written about our latest mishap - problems with the central heating. I got up this morning, in the lukewarm, to find a note saying he'd had problems. He hadn't been able to switch it off all night, even when he'd switched it to the off setting. Yet, when I got up, there was no heating on. It didn't make sense, but, until I've had chance to discuss the matter with him, I can't see the point in contacting the installers of the new system. Instead I feel he was maybe lucky. With the gas fire not working, & a night well below freezing (even now it's only just got up to -8C in a very white world), at least he was kept warm.

Meanwhile, this morning, I'm waiting for our plumber, who usually services the gas fire, to come to have another look at the fire, before I get back yet again to the manufacturers of that. They seem to keep finding things that should have been done in the service, without which the guarantee has no validity. If changing the bit they say has to be changed annually, & which Norman, our man, says is an expensive waste of time when the present one will last for years the amount of times we use the fire & which anyhow isn't the cause of the problem he's sure, then I propose to put Norman himself on the phone. I've had anough of being given the run-around. It's time the fire was working before winter really sets in.

Then, in the afternoon we're off to Curry's with the radio. Let's see if that can get done.

I feel I'm just trying to permanently catch the pieces. The only thing is, each time I catch some a further shower comes cascading down. I should be enthusing about the prettiness of a frosty morning on a bright sunny day, or the lamb casserole plopping away in the oven, not fretting about things breaking down.

No comments: