Tuesday 26 October 2010

3oz of cooked guinea fowl

The talk has been much on food. I suppose it started when a couple of clues in the crossword were "Large white radish" & "Japanese mushroom" - the latter stumped us, shiitake being the only Japanese mushrooms we know. Then Mr P, the music teacher, came in, still finessing his meal for Thursday. His mains are a choice of braised pheasant with red cabbage, beetroot & apple cooked in port or steak & kidney pudding, steamed for 6 hours, served with roasted seasonal vegetables. As that topic seemed to be waning, I suddenly piped up with my dilemma.

"I've got three ounces of cooked guinea fowl to use up tomorrow. Any ideas of what I could do?"

Apart from the usual, ie that's not enough to feed a mouse let alone two grown adults, our friends turned their minds to the concept. PD was keen to suggest a risotto - plenty of rice, some mushrooms... At this point I had to interrupt & point out I didn't have any mushrooms in & the whole idea was to avoid doing any shopping just yet.

Heads were scratched once more.

"How about a stir fry?" was PD's next suggestion.

Now this had more appeal. We have a recipe which we usually do just before we go on holiday as it's such a good user up of vegetables. For two people it basically requires 12oz of vegetables & 2-4oz of prawns, plus a few basics like rice or noodles, oil etc. I have tried it successfully using cooked chicken instead of prawns. Why not try it with cooked guinea fowl? So that is what the Fox is doing in his trust wok for dinner tonight.

This means I have nothing much to prepare for dinner today. Later on I will just decide what veg to add, then take the meat & any supplementary frozen veg out of the freezer to thaw. I will also get some cheese out of the freezer to get to room temperature in time to have as dessert. Nice & simple.

I wonder what they will come up with if I tell them that tomorrow we'll be using up 2oz of minced pork.

No comments: