Tuesday 12 October 2010

Garden update

Several years ago we planted an acer tree. It is supposed to be a copper coloured one, but has always remained resolutely a green one. One of the changes that has really caught my eye after our brief sojourn in Harrogate is that this small tree is now a vivid red. It has never turned such a glowing autumnal colour before. From our kitchen door, looking up the garden, behind the bird bath, is this glorious blaze of brilliant scarlet. I think the tree is suddenly coming into a maturity, ready to show its full colours. Wonderful.

Last night must have been very cold. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't a touch of frost even. I ventured out to get some herbs for dinner - mince & potato patties, an old favourite - to discover many of them were rather limp. The first sign of their dying down for winter I wonder. Certainly they were covered with a fine mist of dampness, of condensation. The car was positively dripping with wet.

No comments: