Saturday 16 October 2010

Alice in Wonderland World

I've just got off the phone. I've done as much ringing around after car insurance quotes as I could be bothered to do. So to end I rang back our present insurers as promised. Would you believe, they've suddenly been able to drop the price by around £100, to be more comparable with other quotes we've had.

The reason? They reckon by increasing our mileage from 4999 to 5000 per year, & the value of the car from £1000 to £2000, in both cases just on paper, the price has been reduced. Now isn't that ridiculous? Presumably if you just drove 10 miles a year & your car was worth just a couple of hundred pounds, the premium would go up by a thousand pounds. Whatever value for the car is put on paper, in the event of a claim they would only pay the market value, which in our case is probably nearer the £1000 mark, so why should it make such a difference on the premium? I'm utterly bemused.

We have yet to talk it over between us, so no decision has been made. But oh dear, I think I'm in Alice in Wonderland World.

No comments: