Monday 4 October 2010

Downs & ups

Yesterday turned into a traumatic day. All went well until after dinner. I then went out to nudge on my washing to find it had barely started. I'd noticed earlier, on a previous wash, that the program dial seemed a bit odd. Now it had become very odd. It certainly wasn't showing the program it was on. One thing is clear. A new machine has just become a priority. We'll have to get along to Comet & Curry's this week.

The Fox suggested I looked at the "Which" review on washing machines. I couldn't make head or tail of it. It didn't tell me the info I needed to make a decision. I want to know what programs a machine does & how large the loads are. The reports may tell you the reliability of the various machines but that is often pot luck & how well you treat the machines.

I'm a believer of doing full loads of washing. The machines "Which" seemed to review took a capacity of 9kg. That will just about be our entire wardrobe of clothes. It would be weeks of dirty washing hanging around.

The whole business just got me down. I'm better off going to a shop where I can easily see on the machines the available programs & find one with a capacity suitable for just 2 people, rather than a family.

The evening did pick up to hear from our friend in Harrogate. Our trip there is now organised & we can get down to eagerly looking forward to it. It's good to see old friends you haven't seen for a while.

So this morning I continued on with the wash. The first load seemed to be at the final spin cycle. I looked in the soap drawer to see the detergent was still there. Obviously I hadn't found a program that involved putting in some hot water. I tried again. So it's gone on. Heaven knows what temperature the washing was done at, but at least it's all done. I just hope nothing has shrunk in water too hot.

And it is a gloriously bright sunny day, so the washing is out on the line. As I put things out I suddenly heard the honking of geese. I looked up. A couple of great Vs crossed the skies. It's that time of year again.

And now, I've had a surprise. The doorbell went. It is someone from the church, delivering a box of gifts from the Harvest Festival yesterday (I didn't attend myself due to the constant heavy rain). It's the first time we've been included on the list of sick & elderly to receive gifts. It came as quite a surprise.

No comments: