Sunday 29 November 2009

An unexpected visitor

Yesterday I had a surprise. I happened to look out of the kitchen window and was surprised to see an unusual, for us, avian visitor. I didn't have my glasses on. I'm rather short-sighted so everything was a bit of a blur. Nonetheless the jaunty gait of this bird searching the patio floor for food was unmistakable. A wagtail. At first I assumed it was a pied wagtail as they are fairly numerous around here. They rarely visit our garden, seeming to prefer the nearby prom. But then this bird turned round. His breast was dazzling yellow, making the grey of his back all the more striking. A grey wagtail. We had one visit us once several years ago but it never returned. I hope this one comes again.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

just the type of surprise visitor I enjoy entertaining (at least they entertain me!)