Thursday 19 November 2009

Another ambulance

The rabbit is plopping away. Each time I venture into the kitchen the sweet spicy smell of cinnamon assaults my nose. It's not often we have rabbit but occasionally I do find it a bit of a treat. I discovered rabbit when we were first married. In Lancaster market then, I did much of my weekly shop. And there was a rabbit stall there. I soon discovered what delicious casseroles they made, with oh so tender meat that just dropped off the fine bones. So it's rabbit today.

I was a bit late starting today. As usual I sat for a little over my breakfast mug of tea & was alarmed to see an ambulance turn the corner, lights flashing. Which neighbour was it now? Ill-health seems to dog our bit of road. Out of the ten houses around us we've got, or had, 5 people with heart problems (resulting in death in two cases), kidney problems twice (resulting in one death) , two disabled people (luckily so far we've not had to get the ambulance out), another suffering the adverse effect of depression, and all that in just 9 years.

I had to stop & check our neighbours were okay. It was with some relief that it turned out not to be anything wrong with our neighbours. Instead they loaded into the ambulance a young woman who was visiting next door. By the look of the way she was nervously holding her arm across her stomach I suspect she had fallen & broken an arm, It would seem next door there will be five children until the young mother is able to drive home with her child.

I'm just getting jittery. After all the deaths we've had this year I feared we would have yet another funeral to go to.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I have quite wonderful memories of tender melting pieces of rabbit - as well as going out with my uncle to catch one or two - I've not yet plucked up the courage to cook some myself!