Monday 30 November 2009

Organising diners

Today we're having another surprise, & very welcome, visitor - the sun. It comes as a shock to get up to blue skies & a dry patio floor. I've hastily filled up all the bird feeders. You never know who might come along.

I'm still trying to sort out the orders for the Xmas meal. Last year there were about 17 of us. Our numbers seem greatly depleted by the demise of three of us & the worsening health of others. This year there will be only 11.

It never ceases to amaze me how difficult this sorting out precise orders can be. We set the date for the meal before we went off to Italy in September. When we came back I told everyone I would be round for menu choices at the end of November, after the wedding. Menus were available in the Pub all that time.

Some people still haven't decided, or they've told me one thing then rung up as they've changed their minds. Then there are the souls who can't find anything on the special Christmas menu they fancy - there's a choice of 5 starters, 6 main courses, 4 puds - so could they have something off the normal menu? There's special requests. Battered fish, all batter, with 6 chips & half a spoonful of peas. For another thin chips, not the thick chips on the menu. So it goes on. Still I've just the one person to give me her decision & we've arranged to meet her at the Pub this afternoon. Then the orders will go in & they'll just have to stick with whatever they've agreed on.

Mind you, I'll keep a copy of the orders for myself. Past experience has taught me that by the time of the meal, they will all have forgotten what they ordered anyway! At least that way everyone gets what they ordered, like it or not.

No comments: