Sunday 15 November 2009

Sober thoughts

It's been a busy few days, what with food shopping, a trip to Kendal to buy our new hi-fi system, the Farmers' Market & the hen night.

The latter went well. Conversation & laughter kept going. It was after 9 before Mrs B resorted to the Mr & Mrs quiz she'd prepared earlier to ask Fran her answers - she'd already got the groom's earlier on. I'm glad to say Den did amazingly well - about 20 out of 27 & most of them questions Fran herself dithered on. Eventually, nearer 10pm we set off back home.

I found myself thinking over the party the next day. Certain things struck me.

First, I had left the party in absolute agony. My knees had burst into flames & were throbbing away. I ended up having a restless night despite taking a sleeping pill - the only way I would have got off in such pain - & several painkillers. Late night partying is beyond me these days. Just occasionally I can stay up later, but it has to be spontaneous & if I feel up to it on the day. We have been invited out for a New Year's Eve dinner & to see the new year in. Now I'm absolutely convinced this is not on. I will try to see the new year in as usual & open a celebratory bottle of champers if I can make it, but it will be at home, where I can loll about, nightwear on & knee braces off. That way I can fall into bed when I want to without any further hassle required.

Another thing that struck me was how unfair my ill-health was on the Fox. He didn't drink much at the stag party. He reckoned because of the driving home. I don't think that's the only reason. We could have got a taxi back if necessary. But once home, he would still have had to be sober enough to help me get changed & into bed. And there's certainly no way I could help him if he was legless. Admittedly that's been a very rare event in our thirty plus years of marriage. He is always on duty as carer, 24 hours a day, even when we're out enjoying ourselves. He rarely complains & I try to make sure he knows how much I appreciate all his efforts, but it still seems unfair to me.

But all this agony & angst will have been worthwhile if Fran & Den feel embraced by the warmth, love & goodwill of their friends. I do hope all goes well on Tuesday & they have a happy marriage.

(I wonder if I'll survive a second party, the wedding reception, so soon after the hen night. We'll see....)

No comments: