Friday 12 June 2009

The world in colour

I've just been looking at our local paper. There are 3 available in this area plus a rather thin freebie. We usually buy "The Visitor", but yesterday we were given a copy of "The Lancaster Guardian". It's a long time since I last looked at this one. The transformation is amazing. Many of the pictures are in colour & reasonably sharp too, unlike the odd colour picture in "The Visitor". The people & places take on a new freshness & interest for that added dimension of colour.

When we first got a proper camera around 1980, and joined a local photography club, I remember how precious people there were. Serious photographs, as opposed to snaps, should be in black & white. I never understood it. I appreciate black & white can often bring out texture better. I can also understand that if you are going to process the film yourself, it is easier. But that's the only attraction of black & white for me.

I rejoice in colour. I see the world in colour, so any pictures I take I want to capture that joy. Looking through this newspaper reminded me just how much I prefer & appreciate pictures in colour.

No comments: