Wednesday 10 June 2009

Lovely day for a walk

"We've just bought a touring caravan," announces Tony, the power station worker. We were pleased to see him again. He hasn't been in the Pub as much lately since the police charged him for driving under the influence a couple of years ago. Anyhow, he proudly shows off his photos of the recent purchase.

"I went into Lancaster today, to buy some pans for the caravan. Just a cheap set. When I went to pay, my card was refused. I hastily went across the road to a bank, but that machine wouldn't let me have it, either, despite showing a balance of over £3000. So I went to my bank & tried to get the money out of there. They said no. All because, a couple of days ago, I'd paid a cheque in from my savings account to pay for the caravan & the cheque hadn't been cleared. I didn't even have enough cash left in my pocket to pay for the bus home. I had to walk the couple of miles back & I was just wearing sandals. Banks!!"

We sympathised, having recently had our run-in with the bank.

"The worst of it was that I'd been dreaming of having breakfast & a pint at Wetherspoons all morning. I had to make do with a slice of toast when I got back home. Still," he continued, "once I'd calmed down, it was a lovely day for a walk."

No comments: