Thursday 25 June 2009

Too hot

The heat is getting to people. I think that's the only explanation for it. Yesterday we get to the Pub.

"Glad you've come. We can't do the crossword today" is the greeting from Mr P, the music teacher. This is unusual from him. He's usually put out because I've completed it before he's even arrived. But as the afternoon goes on, it's clear he's mentally in a daze today, unable to concentrate on anything much. Too hot.

Little B comes in. He was out having his cigarette when we arrived. His greeting was not dissimilar. "I can't do the polygon either," he adds. This, too, is unusual. He usually greets us with " The polygon's a doddle today."

For once I'd got it straightaway & give him a clue. "It's to do with fats & begins with E." He immediately gets it - emulsify.

Next stop the crossword. It seems harder today but eventually we get the final answers - adduce & chime in. Everyone sighs with relief. Now the mental workout is done & we can relax.


2 comments:

Gem x said...

Dear Mr & Mrs Fox, Just a quick note to say that I am still an avid reader, and still alive and kicking! It is not so easy to comment as it used to be on AOL, and I can't find your email address. Hoping all is as well with you as it sounds in your journals. Much Love.. Gem x

The Oxcliffe Fox said...

I'm so pleased to hear from you again, Gem. I'd been wondering if all was well. I confess I've often wanted to put a comment on other people's blog & just not been able to sort out how to do it. The Vixen xx