Monday 1 June 2009

Bad design

I'm once more plastered up. The cause? Opening a tin of corned beef. You would think by the 21st century we could have devised a safer tin to open.

The Fox turned the key. As so often happens, the key snapped off on the seam, so the two parts remained joined by a thin strip of metal. He couldn't get the meat out. As I'm usually the more successful at this job, I had a go. The bottom whipped off, catching my finger as it went. Next, blood is gushing, but I persevere & get the meat out. I hastily go off to the bathroom to get some disinfectant & a plaster. As I go, blood sprays out on our beautiful new lightish green dining chairs.

The cut isn't too bad, but very awkwardly placed, right at the end of my forefinger. Needless to say, they don't make plasters the right shape to stick down well on this position. While I was preparing today's meal this morning, the plaster came off. I thought I'd manage without until I saw the wound was opening up once more, so another plaster.

The chair we manage to sponge off so you wouldn't be aware what had happened. Thank goodness for that.

I've had to change my mind about today's meal. I had intended to make either some kebabs with some minced lamb or some hamburgers with the leftover third of a tin of corned beef, but I didn't fancy shaping the lamb round skewers or the corned beef into patties with one finger plastered & to some extent out of action. So we're having a variation on the idea of shepherd's pie. One good thing about our new cooker is that you can set the oven to start itself so the meal should be just ready to serve when we get home from the garden centre this afternoon. And we won't even have to sit around in all this heat while it's doing it.

The one good thing is that we did enjoy eating the corned beef yesterday - a very pleasant change from our normal fare.

PS We've just heard the bad news. MK is once more in hospital & it's not looking hopeful. Helen is contemplating seeing if he could be moved to the hospice where he would get more one-to-one attention.

No comments: