Thursday 14 November 2019

Morale boost


After dong the shopping yesterday we popped down to the village pub for an unwind before making dinner. There we bumped into some acquaintances we hadn’t seen for a while.

They immediately called out in admiration of my new hairstyle, wondering where I’d had it done. I went over & quietly told them that it was a wig as I’m now on chemo. They were astounded. They hadn’t heard about my cancer & wished me well.

 It was good to have that bit of a morale boost. Before, all those who’d said the wig looked good had all previously known I was losing hair rapidly. It had to be a wig, a matter of necessity. I’d always thought they’d thought like I do, it was the best of what was on offer & had said it looked good to try to convince me it didn’t look bad. I’m certain the Fox certainly feels it’s an improvement on my rapidly balding head. On that I’m agreed. There’s no way I could go out now without covering my head somehow.

Then yesterday I had a phone call from a friend I hadn’t heard from for a while who also said some lovely things about me, about us. She wants me to make a small book of some of my favourite recipes for her. My mind is now whirling with what to include – old favourites that never fail to please, recipes that have special associations. Should I include desserts which I rarely make now but which still bring back fond memories like Orange Rice Meringue? Or is this urge more of a reflection of the novel I’m currently reading, “Rachel’s Pudding Pantry” by Caroline Roberts, which is full of puds & cakes?

Whatever I decide, yesterday was a real morale boost. I feel I’m standing, or rather sitting, taller with some wind in my sails, determined to beat this cancer.

The evening was finished off with a lovely chunter with the Fox over some Dean Martin in the background. Perfect.




No comments: