Wednesday 20 November 2019

Food, (not so) glorious food


I’ve just got dinner prepared. I’ve now put on my wig. (I was roasting some veg to put in the sauce but I can’t wear the wig & open a hot oven door. It’s apparently dangerous.) We’re finally having that tortellini I bought a couple of weeks ago.

My taste buds still seem hit & miss. Yesterday I happily ate a tuna mayo sandwich with relish, appreciating the flavour of the fish, but the fish fingers in the evening were tasteless. As I say hit & miss.

The one conclusion I have come to is that I need to eat to have the strength to cope with the chemo & the cold. Whether I enjoy it or not is irrelevant though obviously if I can enjoy it so much the better.

My second conclusion is that my taste buds seem to improve as the week goes on. Whether that’s because it’s further from Monday, chemo day, or whether it is simply being at the hospital means I tend not to have the opportunity to drink as much or eat as much fruit, I’m not sure.

Today I’m just hoping the tomato flavour of the ragout sauce will cut through the gunk.

Last night the Fox asked me the impossible question. Is it worth him cooking the chicken curry he proposed to make for tomorrow’s dinner? How should I know? The only thing I could say is that I seem to taste chicken better than most meats & the curry flavours should give it a definite flavour to hopefully cut through the gunk. I accept it is very disappointing to spend ages preparing food to be told the other person can’t even taste it, but I really can’t help it at the moment.

No comments: