Wednesday 13 November 2019

Return to cooking


I’m actually doing some real cooking. Well sort of.

Since I lost my taste buds last week the thought of doing much experimental cooking, although attractive in some ways, seemed pointless when it takes so much time to prepare & then I find I can’t taste the food at the end of the day. Even the Fox decided on salads & fish fingers as his culinary options. Just something quick & easy.

I’m glad to say some taste is returning. I did enjoy my roast chicken on Saturday.

I say “sort of” for today’s culinary adventure because I am doing a salad. It has quite different ingredients from usual. I’ve just boiled up some new potatoes. Some of the left over roast chicken will be going in. Along with it will be more usual elements – spring onions, cucumber - & some more unusual elements – mint, avocado, edamame beans. It will be topped off with some crispy bacon bits. The salad will be dressed with a sort of minty lime vinaigrette. I’m just hoping I’m going to get some taste out of it.

Meanwhile the Fox is intending to get back to making the Fish Pie he intended to make last week. One thing I have been able to taste is fish. I did try a little of the smoked mackerel that is going in – really smoky, great. I even manged to taste the prawns in yesterday’s salad. So we’re hoping it is going to be worth his effort to make it & I will be able to bring some relish to the meal. I suspect, though, we will have to go by his taste judgement when it comes to deciding whether or not to keep the recipe. My taste buds are certainly not all back with the result there is some taste distortion, sufficient for me to be insecure about my judgement of flavours.

Meanwhile, when we next get to the shops I will buy plenty of tangy fruit in the hope the acid will keep the gunk in my mouth at a more acceptable level.

No comments: