Thursday 7 November 2019

Yet another one


Yesterday we did our food shop. In the evening we had a Ham & Egg Sauté, an old favourite. I couldn’t taste a thing. Not even the tomatoeyness of the accompanying baked beans with a dash of Worcestershire sauce in them. The next adverse side effect has arrived. Even the wine, another old favourite, normally a beautifully soft Cariñena, was horrible, just tannic & not very nice. I abandoned it after barely a single glass.

The gunge in my mouth has arrived with a vengeance, with the result I can taste very little through it. If this goes on for long I can see I will very soon lose any appetite. It’s just so boring eating when there is no flavour.

It doesn’t seem worth making too much effort cooking, certainly not to do anything experimental. I hastily shoved in the freezer the tortellini we were going to have today, even though I normally think the jarred tomato sauce tend to be intensely flavoured. The Fox has abandoned the idea of buying some fresh fish today to make a fish pie for tomorrow. Instead we will return to the shop, buy a few fresh salad ingredients. I’ve just tried eating a tomato & managed to get some flavour out, or at least I could appreciate the fresh sweetness of the tomato. Hopefully if we make a fairly sharp salad dressing I will get some taste. It certainly would mean a quick & easy meal.

I confess all these adverse side effects are getting me down. I’m constantly picking hair off clothes, jigsaws, carpets etc. despite the fact what hair that does remain is covered by the wig. Bald patches are now appearing. My head definitely needs a covering of some sort, though I admit I’m still tempted by a scarf rather than the wig. The Fox prefers me in the wig but I admit personally the wig is becoming the focus of my misery at my situation, rather than a source of self-confidence. At least a scarf encourages a certain creativity as I try different scarves/shawls in different colours & fabrics, & ways of tying them.

As you may have realised my morale is taking a knocking. I’m just trying to hold onto the fact the lump seems to have virtually disappeared so all this upset will be worthwhile in the long run. I’ve only another 8 sessions to go!

No comments: