Tuesday 10 September 2019

Unsettled


Today’s the day I go radioactive.

I’ve given some thought about what to wear. It is a whole body scan. The images for this scan can be done through clothes but I must not be wearing any metal, so no bra (the hooks are metal), no metal zips. I’ve finally decided on elasticated trousers with wide legs so I can easily slip down my knee braces – they have metal in them - & put them back on without having to take down my trousers. On top, a blouse with plastic buttons & a woolly jumper. The only metal apart from my knee braces are my watch & rings, wedding & engagement. If necessary they can be easily removed at the time.

Meanwhile I’ve heard of next week’s appointment. This time we have to go to Chorley, some distance away, the other side of Preston. I’ve only ever driven through Chorley once & that must 30-40 years ago. I didn’t even know it had a hospital but it is apparently the only hospital in the county that does sarcoma scans. So Chorley it is. I’m just hoping the confirming letter gives us some idea of where the hospital, or at least its postcode, so we can put it into the Satnav. I can see that’s going to be another all day trip & a meal out.

We’re feeling very unable to commit to anything at the moment. Almost daily we seem to be hearing about appointments or going to hospitals. Very unsettling. I’m telling myself it’s all to the good. One thing I know about cancer, if it is cancer, the sooner you start treatment the greater the chances are of your survival. The NHS is certainly trying to pull out all the stops.

No comments: