Wednesday 4 September 2019

In want of inspiration


I’m thinking of having a look on-line for inspiration. I’m once more using up from the freezer. So what’s next on the list? Pork belly rashers. I’m not quite sure what I’m going to do with them. For many decades, in this country, pork belly has been out of favour. With the arrival of austerity this century, there’s been a revival in interest in the use of cheaper cuts of meat, including pork belly. Most of my recipe books date from the previous century & ignore this cut. Most of the contemporary recipes I have use pork belly as a joint for slow roasting or pulling, neither methods very appropriate with rashers. It’s dawned upon me that I once did a search on-line for venison fillet & discovered a very simple but tasty method of cooking it so maybe I ought to try the same for pork belly rashers.

Why, you might ask, did you buy the pork belly rashers in the first place? A good question. I vaguely think I needed some for extra flavouring in a soup, but that was last year so I can’t be sure. It certainly wasn’t for a recipe I hand wrote out & kept.

At the supermarket, the rashers were in packs of 4. It was one of those BOGOF deals, two packs for the price of one so I bought two & put the unwanted ones in the freezer. Now it’s time to use them up. I needed two rashers for that soup (if it was a soup). The Fox made a slow cook sweet and sour using another two yesterday. That leaves four rashers. I have found one recipe using them with prunes – the Fox is not a great fan of prunes - & a French recipe for a starter. I’m telling myself the latter would do. Add a few veg to fill it out & a starter can be the basis for a main course.

I’m off now to start hunting.

No comments: