Tuesday 24 September 2019

Good news


The phone rang. What now? It’s the hospital.

I’d spent much of the day trying to decide whether to ring the hospital this morning for the results of my tests. This was the hospital ringing me with the results. It was good news. The tests show the cancer has not spread into any other organs. It is simply in my breast & glands. I’m to expect a phone call later this week with an appointment at Oncology to sort out some chemotherapy to shrink this lump. The MacMillan nurse asked how I felt. I couldn’t help saying relieved.  At least it is only in one area & therefore should be able to be satisfactorily treatable. It is early enough.

I was somewhat bemused when I was about to serve dinner to hear the telephone ringing again. The Fox served up while I spoke to the hospital. It was a different MacMillan nurse, just checking I’d got the news & wasn’t unduly distressed. I assured her I had & that, in my opinion, it was good news. It seems I should be at Oncology later this week or next. I’ll be starting actual treatment the following week. It seems they’re hoping to shrink the lump to pea size then zap it with some radiotherapy & so avoid another operation. We’ll just see how it goes.

Personally I’ll be relieved if they can just shrink the lump. It seems to be still growing. Above all it is very painful, making sleep very difficult. A reduction in size should reduce the pain. It is unfortunate that the lump is just under where my bra strap goes, & the car seat belt goes, pressing down painfully on it. I’ll feel a lot happier if I’m just feeling more comfortable & able to sleep better. I’m not entirely sure what side effects the chemo may have but that is another hurdle. At least I will know I’m on the path to recovery.



No comments: