Monday 11 June 2018

Salad days?


We’ve had much debate about what to have for dinner tonight. 

I had decided to make some duck/lamb croquettes, using up some leftover meat that had lost its label in the freezer. Then I remembered we had some bacon bits sitting around the fridge. 

On the basis that frozen stuff will keep better than food in the freezer, I changed my mind to make some Little Bacon Flans. 

As it’s been so hot, I wondered if for once we could have a side salad to accompany the warm flans rather than our usual accompaniments of chips & hot baked beans. Then it occurred to me we had already decided that tomorrow we were going to have a salad using up a half tin of salmon, augmented with some cooked prawns. It’s going to be a fairly traditional English salad, finishing off the Little Gem lettuce we have in, some tomatoes, boiled egg, beetroot & sweet peppers. I didn’t think we wanted the same salad for two days & anyhow we only had the one small lettuce left. 

Tuesday is always a difficult day for food preparation as I’m never quite sure when the home help is going to arrive. A salad is the perfect solution. Boiling a few eggs can be done when I making my breakfast. I'm could even have a chucky egg for breakfast.

So I’ve argued myself out of a salad for today. It’s back into a hot kitchen for chips & baked beans. Still we can always eat out in the shade of our garden. And today there’s even a cooling breeze.

No comments: