Wednesday 6 June 2018

Burn them ?

I find myself half looking at an advert for a weed burner. I wonder how effective they are. I’m not thinking of relying on such an item all the time. Rather I’m contemplating for those not so easy to get rid of weeds such as mare’s tail.

Unfortunately we have a neighbour whose front garden is just a forest of mare’s tails. Inevitably their roots spread into our garden. So far they’ve not got through the concrete driveway. However the gravel edges is a different matter. They’ve now started to come through the membrane under the gravel. It’s an almost daily job to keep on top of them. It’s hard on fingers & nails. You know you’ve only taken off the top of these prehistoric trees. The roots can run for miles. They are so armour-plated they resist chemicals of all sorts & boiling water. Just nothing seems to stop them. Would bursts of thermal heat do the job? I wonder. Is it worth spending £40 to find out?

No comments: