Wednesday 27 June 2018

It ain't half hot


Yesterday was a real swelterer. We ventured into Lancaster – the Fox was in need of some shirts & ties for the formal dinners on the cruise. It was a relief to get into Marks & Spencer’s with its air-conditioning. When we stepped out with our purchases it reminded me of the wall of heat that struck us when we stepped out of Changi airport in Singapore. It was not quite as bad but not far off.

We’d decided on a salad for dinner. It was a relief not to have to start cooking, adding to the heat in the house. We sat out in the garden. The Fox still didn’t manage much – I had most of it. One mouthful & his appetite disappeared. He had difficulty swallowing. He found everything so dry & tasteless. He didn’t even enjoy the wine we had with the meal much.

After dinner I looked at the thermometer on the shed wall. 33º C! No wonder we were finding it so hot. The Fox was just melting. It wasn’t help by feeling so tired & drained.

Today is another hot day. I’ve just done the ironing. That’s enough extra heat for me. We’ll buy some more salad ingredients when we’re out. I can’t see me wanting to cook today. If anything I suspect it’s going to be hotter than yesterday by this evening.

On the whole I can cope with the heat. Indeed I feel more energised than usual, as though I’ve come out of a long hibernation. My problem is the humidity, the lack of freshness in the air. And the humidity is now building up too.

No comments: