Tuesday 5 June 2018

Food thoughts

The sun is shining. It’s another warm day ahead. We’re set for another salad day. This time the Fox is making a variation of the Tuna & Bean Salad we often have. It has the advantage that all the ingredients are store cupboard items – tin of tuna, tin of beans, usually kidney beans, an onion, homemade vinaigrette (olive oil & wine vinegar) – usually added to with some jarred beetroot & some fresh tomatoes if we have any in. This time we’re thinking of adding some sweet peepers which we have left over from another meal.

As a result I have a quiet morning until my carer arrives. Or the lad arrives to do the shed floor.

I’ve already had a rummage in the freezer to locate the left over roast lamb which I will be getting out tonight for tomorrow’s dinner. That will turn into croquettes, nice & easy to fry up come the evening. I also found a few other items that are near the top of my freezer list to use up

I’m half thinking what to do with the minced beef that is next on the list. Before I cook that I will be going to the supermarket so if there is anything necessary for the meal I can get it then.

It never ceases to amaze me how much time is spent just thinking about food, deciding what to cook when, what ingredients are necessary. However, the result is that we have a varied diet, rarely boring, plenty of new things as well as old favourites. What is more we rarely throw out things bought but untried, making the cost reasonable. That usually happens only when supermarkets insist on selling fresh items in too large quantities for one meal for two people.

No comments: